Today I’m presenting an L Plate session at VALA 2014 on visualisation.
This post provides links to content referenced in the session as well as further reading.
Here are my slides… (Apologies for graininess – high res slides coming soon!)
The following links were used in the presentation:
- 20th century death
- 200 countries, 200 years, 4 minutes
- 13 reasons why your brain craves infographics
- The digital lives of American moms
- Why is data visualisation so hot?
- What is data visualisation?
- 7 things you should know about data visualisation
- The value of data visualisation
- What’s the difference between an infographic and a data visualisation?
- 7 things you should know about infographic creation tools
- Why infographics are terrible, in one terrible infographic
- Dave Gray on visual thinking
- Read Dan Roam’s The back of the napkin or watch the videos on his site for a quick overview
- Information design: the understanding discipline
- Information design evolution
- BrightSpot’s Sunni Brown on Information design, graphic design, graphic recording
- Check out Edward Tufte’s website and in particular his principles for information design
- Edward Tuft and information design for the web
DIY infographics with these web apps:
Visualisation in service design
- Browse Image Quilts, a project of Edward Tufte and Adam Schwartz, and try out the Image Quilts Chrome extension